Friday 16 November 2012

Fashion in Film

I love old movies - the black and white ones and the over the top technicolour musicals and most of all I love the old movie stars in fabulous costumes and outfits. It's what I grew up watching on a Sunday afternoon with my Mum and where my love of vintage clothes and style comes from.

Movie stars back then were glamorous on and off the movie set you wouldn't have seen them in the tabloids in tracksuits and Ugg boots.

There have been some iconic movie outfits so here are some of my all time favourites.

The Women 1939 starring Norma Shearer, Joan Crawford and Rosalind Russell about a group of women - their loves and lives with amazing costumes by Adrian the famed Hollywood designer of the 40's and stunning jewellery by Eugene Josett.

 
 
 
 
 
Another favourite is Barclay's of Broadway starring Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers as a feuding husband and wife dance act. Fred looks dapper as always and Ginger wears some fabulous outfits.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Audrey Hepburn is a style icon of course and although I love the classic LBD in Breakfast at Tiffany's my favourite fashion is in Sabrina 1954 with Humphrey Bogart and William Holden, and Audrey transforms from the plain chauffeur's daughter into an elegant lady after time in Paris. Edith Head won an Oscar for best costume design on this film but the clothes were Givenchy who is un-credited!!
 
 
 
 
I could go on listing fabulous fashion in film but my final one for now is Rear Window 1954 with Grace Kelly and Jimmy Stewart, Edith Head again with the costumes.
 
 
 
 
 
 
More fabulous fashion in films coming in future blogs and watch this space for more news on NFW Vintage Fashion Show and Fair with an Old Hollywood theme and maybe just one or two more influences some my favourite films turning up on the catwalk!!!